2014 Rosé

A Posse ad Esse

How to purchase: CLICK HERE

Meaning of 'A Posse ad Esse'

  This is a Latin expression that literally translates to "from being able to being". From possibility to actuality. From dream to reality. It is quite suitable for the name of Vinum Ferus' first release because it is the epitome of something that was once a dream that is now an actual product. I first wanted to make my own wine when I was a junior in college at the University of Georgia. To think of the process it took, the time, the experience, the knowledge, the continuous passion... to enter reality from a mere dream- it's powerful. 

This wine is...

Dry. Racy as hell. Made to be enjoyed with food. From a LIVE certified Vineyard. My first wine ever. Mouth-watering. Ecstasy-inducing. Citrus-ey. Delicious with oysters, fried chicken, or black beans and collard green soup, among many other things. For the one that craves Acid. Corked with natural cork grown in deep groves of oak trees in Sardegna, Italy. Full of malic acid. 

The Science

Harvest Brix: 22

Alcohol: 13.12%

Residual Sugar: .5 g/L

pH: 3.3

Titratable Acidity: 8.0 g/L

The Process

  The pinot noir grapes were picked on September ___, 2014 from a single vineyard in the Chehalem Mountain AVA of the Willamette Valley. These were some of the first grapes brought in this harvest. The La Cantera vineyard is rich in Laurelwood soil, a type of loess soil that was blown into the valley during a massive windstorm after the soil melted from an ice glacier. The harvest Brix was 22, and the pH was 3.20.

   Each and every cluster of the 1.25 tons was hand-sorted. Very few clusters had to be removed. The grapes were stepped on (pigeage à pied) to allow color and phenolics to mingle with the juice, then placed in a chilled room overnight. The next afternoon I pressed the grapes in a Velo bladder press through 4 cycles going up to .8 bars pressure at the highest. 

   A small portion of the skins and stems were retained and placed in a stainless steel basket, fabricated by Mark. They were placed in the juice. The juice was inoculated with W15 yeast at 20 g/hL. This yeast is known for fermenting at cooler temperatures. After the fermentation began, the tank was moved to the cold room to ferment at a cool temperature. The basket was removed after approximately 5 days of fermentation.

   It fermented for 18 days and was then barreled on October 12.. Three used French Oak barrels were filled with a little topping material left over. Two weeks later, two of the barrels were racked off the lees and sulfured due to some reduction smells. The third barrel was stirred every 2-3 weeks. All barrels were topped every 2-3 weeks. The third barrel was sulfured mid-November, so malo-lactic fermentation is not close to being complete. 

   In the end of January the barrels were bulldog-racked into a tank.



   Several trials were done. Why? The acidity was so electric, that it prevented any other qualities of the wine to be expressed. The phenolics caused the wine's mouthfeel to seem closed. I decided in the end to add a very small dose of Gelcoll Supra, which is a gelatin that polishes the texture. I then moved the tank into the cold room and also added .75 g/L Potassium Carbonate, which reigned in the acidity just enough for it to be racy as hell, but more balanced. Then cream of tartar was added the first week in February to seed the cold stabilization process. After four weeks, it was sterile-filtered through a crossflow filter on Friday March 13th and bottled on March 18th.